Fn+F2: Disable wireless

Posted in laptop by estephen on May 15th, 2007

Not every laptop uses this keystroke, but most seem to.

If you’re on a plane or in a hospital, you should disable your wireless receiver. Or suppose you’re riding in a train or car and you know there’s no wireless signal, you’ll increase your battery performance if you disable the wireless receiver.

Hit Fn+F2 and it’ll toggle wireless on and off. (Practice it a few times so you can recognize how the icons in the system tray appear, so you’ll know to switch it back on if you ever disable it by accident.)

10 Responses to 'Fn+F2: Disable wireless'

Subscribe to comments with RSS or TrackBack to 'Fn+F2: Disable wireless'.

1. Costin said,

on September 3rd, 2007 at 2:49 pm

Can you please tell me how to emulate in any way Fn+F2 when I am using an external keyboard? my laptop keyboard is broken and I am using an external USB keyboard :(

please send me an e-mail if you know the answer …

on September 4th, 2007 at 6:31 pm

I’m sorry to say, Costin, that I know of no way to emulate this using an external keyboard.

What type of laptop do you have? There is quite possibly an application supplied by your vendor which can easily disable wireless. For example, on my Dell laptop, there’s a system tray icon for their wireless manager; I can right click on it (with a mouse, horrors!) to get a shortcut menu for wireless options that includes disabling wireless.

Another choice is to use the Network control panel:
    Ctrl+Esc to open the Start Menu
    S for Settings
    N for Network Connections
    Up Arrow to highlight the Wireless connection
    Shift+F10 for the shortcut menu
    B for Disable

3. Bob said,

on April 21st, 2008 at 5:25 am

Sorry, that isn’t a Windows shortcut; it’s a Dell (and Gateway and others) shortcut. On other brands it does nothing. Fujitsu laptops have an actual sliding switch for the WLAN on most models.

on April 21st, 2008 at 9:42 am

Good point, thanks. As I said at the top, “Not every laptop uses this keystroke, but most seem to” — I’d guess about 80% of the laptops I’ve seen have support for it.

5. Pauline said,

on February 16th, 2009 at 5:51 am

i want to know lang po sira kasi ung f2 ko sa keyboard, eh hindi ko po maOpen ang wireless.pano po un?another key po, ano poh kaya?

6. Lewis BW said,

on April 21st, 2009 at 10:09 am

There is a way to recreate this on your PC. This is by using a vbs script to send keys using the send key command you could then create a shortcut to this on the desktop im sure this could be effective. Hoiwever i am not sure if VBS supports the F keys instead i could consider using NirCmd command line interprator tool with the send key command whic supports the send key cammand and gives the option of holding a key down for a predetermined amount of time. For example here is a working script that you need to save and whatever.bat make sure you use the .bat standing for batch file

@echo off
    nircmd send key ctrl down
    nircmd send key f2 press
    nircmd send key ctrl up
    exit

Also you could add a wait and a messagebox like this.

@echo off
    nircmd send key ctrl down
    nircmd send key f2 press
    nircmd send key ctrl up
    msg * Wireless hardware status changed
    exit

You will need the command line tool downloaded here:

(There is a link at the bottom)

And the command list here:

Hope this helps

7. Dom said,

on November 18th, 2009 at 1:37 pm

i have an advent laptop and the wireless button seems to be disabled. i have tryed the above tips but have not been able to activate it

please help,
    thanks

8. tom said,

on November 26th, 2010 at 12:49 am

Does anyone know how to disable the F2 button? (the opposite of what this guy is asking?) I use the #2 often working on my laptop, and I keep turning off my internet by accident since the F2 button is right above the Number 2. Is there anyway to deactivate the button?

9. xy-za v. gerondio said,

on December 11th, 2013 at 7:45 pm

hi. im using acer aspire windows 7. its been a week that i cant access any wifi signal. ive tried FNF2 but it doesnt work :( please helpppp

10. enoch said,

on April 2nd, 2014 at 2:57 am

my short cut keys like fn and f2 for brightness and all above are not working after formating..wondering if i have to find a software and install or to get to setting to fix that..please help me out..